Monday, January 17, 2011

Halfway There!

It is hard to believe, but today I am 21 weeks pregnant with baby #4. It has flown by SO fast. So incredibly fast!

One might wonder why I consider 21 weeks as the halfway point...well, because my pregnancies always go long. So, I fully expect to be closer to 42 weeks than 40 weeks when I deliver. Thankfully, Nathan and I have learned enough to know that this is normal and okay. So, we just wait a wee bit longer, and learn about patience and trusting in the Lord's timing for our little ones.

Here is what pregnancy.org says is going on this week:

•White blood cells are under production. Leukocytes (or white blood cells) form our body's defense system. They help fight infections and diseases.
•Our little one's skin has changed from translucent to become more opaque.
•Our infant's tongue is fully formed.
•If our baby is a girl, her womb and vagina are formed. Unlike males, females have a limited supply of eggs in their lifetime. At this point our daughter will have 6 million eggs. This amount decreases to approximately one million by birth.
•Baby swallows more this week. After our baby takes in amniotic fluid, his body absorbs the water in the liquid and moves the rest into the large bowel. This is good practice for his digestive system!
•Wake and sleep periods become more consistent. Some research suggests that baby sets her internal clock to match the outside world's even before birth! My eating and sleeping habits as well levels of light and noise serve as her signals.
•Length is now measured crown to heel.
•Baby measures about 10.51 inches (26.7cm) and weighs nearly 12.7 ounces (360g).

After a lot of discussion and consideration Nathan and I did decide to find out the baby's gender this time around. I am a tad jealous of my friends not knowing until the birth, but know that we agreed to this at the beginning. So, Lord willing, we will get to peak at baby #4 next week and may know if we are having a he or a she. My bet is on a he. Either way, I am excited!

No comments: