Thursday, January 20, 2011

Book Review: Adopted for Life


Before the new year I decided to more intentional in what and how much I read outside of the Word. I had been encouraged by Lindsay over at Passionate Homemaking about finding more time to read as a homemaker, and by my bother-in-law's reading goals for 2010.

So, I decided to make a reading list to help keep me on track.

I knew the first book I wanted to read this year was Adopted for Life by Russell D. Moore. I had seen this book at the home school fair last year, and it was recommended by a number of friends. I actually finished this one over a week ago, and it is now being read by Nathan.

Moore not only brings to light why Christians should be at the forefront of adoption and the care of orphans, but the importance of seeing the gospel in the the adoption orphans. And really you can not separate the two as adoption is such a clear picture of the gospel.

The only part that I could not agree with Moore on 100% was with regards to an adopted child's heritage. I know there are many thoughts on this, but I still think it is important for a child to know their roots and have that included in some way in their lives. Though their lives are now with their new family and they have a new heritage, so to speak, I find it a bit concerning to totally cut them off from the heritage they were born into.

Otherwise, this was an excellent book. I think the subtitle could scare some off from reading this book, but I would not let that deter you. Certainly, Dr. Moore has given our family a lot to think about. Not only about the orphan crisis that exists and what role we will play in caring for them, but pondering our own adoption into the family of God through Jesus Christ.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. ~ Ephesians 1:3-6
If you are interested, you can find a great review at Discerning Reader on this and many Christian titles.

2 comments:

Haley said...

sounds like a great book. Ryan and I need to read it for sure b/c God is definitely doing something in our hearts in this area.

Stephanie said...

It really is a good book. Amazon has much better reviews than I can give, lol. Also, Discerning Reader is a great site for book reviews. Let me know if you read it.