Thursday, December 2, 2010

14 weeks and my first midwife appointment

I am not sure how it happened, but I am already out of the first trimester. If we continue on at this rate I will be totally unprepared for this baby! Not really...well, not totally, just somewhat.

As of Monday I was 14 weeks along. Below is a picture of a what our little one might look like. What an amazing Creator we have that knits us together.

According to pregnancy.org, here is what is happening this week:


•Thyroid gland has matured and baby begins producing hormones which will be used throughout his or her life.
•In boys, the prostate gland develops
•In girls, the ovaries move from the abdomen to the pelvis
•Baby's bones are getting harder and stronger by the day!
•Baby's skin is very transparent still
•Lanugo (very fine hair) covers the baby's body and will continue to grow until 26 weeks gestational age - Generally this will be shed prior to birth. Its purpose is to help protect baby's skin while in all that water!
•Baby is approximately 3.42 inches (8.7cm) long and weighs about 1.52 ounces (43 grams) - approximately the weight of a letter!

On Monday I also had my first midwife appointment. Everything seems to be great, for which I am grateful. I was excited to get to hear the baby's heartbeat (always such a surreal experience to realize there is another human inside you!)...160 beats per minute. I still feel great, just more tired this trimester than the first. Weird.

Our midwife team is a bit different this time around. Christy Martin is our primary midwife, with Cindy Haggerton as backup (she was an assistant at Ben's birth, and was the primary midwife at Samuel's birth) and one of the student midwives (not sure which at this point). I am excited to have these ladies that love the Lord as our birth team. I love that they are my sisters in Christ - it is such a huge blessing!!

I hope to upload pics of the kids soon. I make no promises...I am BUSY around here! lol

1 comment:

Mom said...

Didn't you just get pregnant?!? lol This one is going fast for me, too!!