Thursday, August 12, 2010

Penmanship

A few months back I found the book How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons at a used homeschool book sale (thank you, Janis, for the heads up!) for $7. Many of the homeschooling moms at church have raved about this for teaching all their kids to read, so I decided to go ahead and buy it. We had been working through the Hooked on Phonics program my mom had used with my youngest sister, but we were both getting very frustrated with it. So, we took a break.

Lucy, being the book lover that she is, kept asking me to do school with her and teach to read. Who is going to say no to that?!? So, I finished reading through the intro/parent guide of 100 Easy Lessons (it is just easier to write that every time), and we started the lessons.

I have to say, I am really liking this book a lot. Lucy already knows her letters and sounds, but she'll be learning much more than this. Plus, every lesson we work on penmanship and writing the sounds (they refer to the letters by their sound, not the name of the letter). I really like that she is learning to actually write the letters while we are working on the sounds.

Lucy can write her and Ben's names, and sometimes gets mom and dad correct, but those are pretty easy. Lots of times she'll ask us how to spell something, and can write it down that way. Since she was working on writing her M's today, she wanted to write my name. Below is her practice work from the M's and writing my name. Not to bad for an almost four year old (and how in the world is she almost FOUR!?!).



I stopped her just as she was beginning to write her name (hence the L all by its lonesome) to take this picture.

Disclaimer: Just to say this, the only reason we are working with Lucy on this is because she continues to ask and express a desire to know how to read and write. Otherwise, we wouldn't even bother for another year or two. I don't want anyone to think we are forcing this on her, or making her try to do things she is too young for. ;) Plus, the lessons are only about 15 minutes a day...

2 comments:

Brittany said...

WOW!!!! That's fabulous! And I can SO see Lucy asking to learn to read, PRECIOUS!!! Right now all Ethan desires to do is run, run, and run...with the occasional wrestle time. (yeah right on the occasional! haha)

Mom said...

But can she spell and write Nana? She is a smart little person and challenging her brain in all areas is fabulous!