Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Who says healthy can't taste good?

I just wanted to share two recipes we had recently that I found really tasty. The first is the Blueberry Breakfast Cake I've had on our menu a few times. It is SO tasty. Even Nathan liked this, and he can be less than pleased with my healthier sweet options.


A few changes that I made to the recipe - 1) half honey and half maple syrup, 2) extra virgin coconut oil for butter (remember, I can't have dairy), and 3) our previously cooked oatmeal (2 batches) had both apples and blackberries in them...so there was apple, blackberries and blueberries in the cake. I will definitely be making this one again.

The second recipe was in a comment I read on The Nourishing Gourmet's post asking people for their favorite uses for bananas. More than one person commented on making a chocolate "pudding" with them. Since I had four bananas that needed to be used soon, I decided to surprise the family with a treat after dinner.

The kids and I thought this was GREAT. Nathan wasn't so sure. It definitely tasted like banana and chocolate, but those two go together wonderfully (IMO). If you are interested, here's the recipe I used:
Vegan Chocolate Pudding
4 bananas
1 avocado
3 T full fat cocoa powder (or to taste)
1 T maple syrup or honey (really, this could be left out, the bananas are sweet enough on their own)
Mix it all in a blender, pour in bowls/cups and chill until time to serve.
I think this could be a good snack (minus the extra sweetener) for the kids and me...

1 comment:

Amy said...

Oooo, I have a recipe like this but no bananas and it uses a whole cup of confectioners sugar! Yikes! Maybe I'll give this one a try. Thanks for sharing!