Thursday, August 13, 2009

Neglected...

I am pretty sure that is how this blog is feeling. Neglected. And honestly, if something needed to be neglected, pretty much any of my online activities (other than checking bank accounts when balancing checkbooks and paying bills) would be at the top of my list. There are so many other things to keep me busy (and if you have kids, especially more than one, you know what I am talking about!).

Sometimes it feels like we haven't done much, but have been super busy. Of course, I have more than enough at home that keeps me busy. In addition to everything on the home front, we've had things with church, birthday parties, visiting cousins from Houston, outings with Nana and lots of other fun things going on.

And because I am sure many of you know I am the queen of randomness (actually, I think my little sister Sarah is, but whatever), here is just a sampling of things that have been going on:
  • Ben now has a love for books like his sister. Not quite as intense, but hopefully it gets there at some point. Currently his favorite is From Head to Toe by Eric Carle. And though he prefers short books, he'll actually sit through some of Lucy's longer ones...depending on his mood.
  • In addition to loving books now, Ben is also enjoying that he recently learned he could climb up onto the kitchen table. A huge no no. He has been made well aware of the fact that climbing on the table is not okay and there are consequences. Of course, he will obey only about 25% of the time. So, discipline and talking about our sin (disobedience) and forgiveness goes on a lot around here.
  • Ben recently got his first pair of "big boy" shoes. Up until last week he were soft soled leather shoes, and they were great. However, they were getting too small, so we decided to go with See Kai Run like with Lucy. These shoes are great for a number of reasons, one being that my kids seem to have really fat feet. And I don't mean just the width, it is the whole thing...fat. We had to buy him a size 7! He was so proud that when we got home and put them on he just held his hands behind his back, looked down and smiled. He'd walk around for a bit and do the same thing. It was really cute.
  • Lucy is talking a lot about her upcoming birthday. This is the first time that she actually is aware of what is going on. She had a vague idea last year, but this year she has definite opinions about it! She knows the day of her birthday, and keeps telling me how she had a barn cake last year and will have a ladybug this year.
  • Speaking of Lucy's birthday, last weekend Nana took Lucy and I shopping for Lucy's birthday dress. We are having a small tea party for little girls for her party, and the girls are to dress in nice dresses. Nana thought it would be fun for Lu to get to try on some dresses, and pick one out. It was loads of fun, but she was very distracted the whole time. As usual, Nana ended up getting her a lot more than just the sweet dress for her birthday. Thank you, Nana!
  • In search of costume jewelry at Montgomery Street Antique Mall for Lucy's party, I renewed my love for milk glass. Who doesn't like hobnail milk glass, or lace edge cake platters? And if you are in the market for some of this, don't buy it there...go to ebay. MUCH cheaper. Ask me how I know?
  • I know Nathan already blogged about this, but I had to share as well. During family worship we have been going through the book of Mark. The other night Lucy I put Lucy in the bathtub. She started doing something weird with her foot. I wasn't sure what was going on until she announced, "I can not walk on water." That's right sweetie, you can't. Only Jesus can do that because He is God. There are a few of the accounts in Mark that she remembers very well. Every night she'll say, "there was a man, whose arms and legs didn't work. Remember that from last night?" Of course, that was a long time ago that we talked about Jesus healing the paraletic man.
  • A few weeks back the cousins from Houston came up for a visit. The kids had loads of fun, and seem to feed off each other - especially Ben and J. We can tell those two will need to be watched as they get older. Ben was so animated and excited every time he saw J. It was really cute.
  • Speaking of cousins, Emah will be a year old on Sunday. Wow! How did that happen so fast?
  • Last night we were at Target and Lucy told Nathan she wanted to take a meal to someone when she saw the foil casserrole dishes. I never once thought she evern realized we took people meals at various time. You never know what they are paying attention to...
  • Another Lucy discovery from yesterday - she is afraid of Pooh's Heffalump movie. She ran out of the room crying during the first five minutes or so. I may have the only toddler that doesn't like Winnie the Pooh. Maybe that is a good thing...
  • I recently tried my hand at making cream cheese. It worked great. I made it from homemade yogurt. I ended up using it to make a chocolate icing to go on chocolate cake. Yum! I think next time I'll try making a rasberry chipotle sauce to go over it with crackers.
  • Tomorrow I am going to a friend's house to learn about fondant. I decided to try my hand at it for Lucy's birthday cake this year. Generally I am not really a fan, but she makes hers from scratch and says it tastes much better. I can't wait!
  • Since our family is growing, we decided to find a new place to live. The search hasn't been all that great since three bedrooms are hard to come by in our area (most older homes have two bedrooms). However, we did find one that is getting CH/A installed this week, that is a really good prospect. We hope it all works out, but will be fine if it doesn't.
  • I am not feeling the baby move about. So fun! I will be 19 weeks on Saturday. I've said this many, many, many times, but this pregnancy is flying by! This baby will be here before we know it. I can't wait to meet him or her.
  • While we are talking about pregnancy...I can't remember if I had announced on here that we'd be attempting a homebirth again. I read a great article last week about the homebirth debate. I really wish that all medical professionals (doctors, nurses AND midwives) would work together here in the states like in other countries. I know they can and do sometimes here, but it is rare. Maybe, just maybe, that will happen in the future...
  • Lately I've been learning a lot about the difference between being judgemental based on my own standards and ideas of how things should be versus God's righteous judgement based on His word. Wow. Talk about humbling. Needless to say, I am also learning about showing more grace when someone had different ideals on things that are not specifically addressed in Scripture. I have a lot to learn!
  • Speaking of grace, I am becoming more and more aware of how much I need God's grace. I was telling a friend recently that the more I learn about the Lord and His desires for His children, the more I realize my own sin and inability to do any of it on my own. Isn't God's grace amazing? It is!

Well, Lucy just woke up early from her nap, so off to entertain and make dinner. Have a blessed rest of the week (or month...who knows how long it will be before I blog again).

4 comments:

shannon spaulding said...

i love reading the updates. thanks steph! can't wait to see you all very soon!

Sarah said...

It's been a while since I've checked in. . . but looks like I haven't missed much!

I'm so excited to hear you're planning a home birth . . . can't wait to read how it goes!

Now I'm off to figure out why you worded it that way: "attempting." Gotta find Ben's story, I guess. :)

Stephanie said...

Hey, Sarah! No, you haven't missed much. I already replied to your comment on Ben's birth, but you are exactly right on the "attempting" another homebirth. While a homebirth is our desire and what we are "planning" for, we know that this, as are all things, is in the Lord's hands and trust His will. God has been teaching me quite a bit lately about trusting Him, and childbirth and pregnancy are a big one. I'd love to chat with you about it. A friend at church and my midwife are really the only ones I have talked to about it in-depth, but they both are on the same page. It has been such an encouragement.

Michelle said...

I don't think I even knew you had a blog! How fun! I'll have to add it to my blog roll. Thanks again for your comment on mine. I have enjoyed thinking about the new ideas for the holidays today!