Friday, June 26, 2009

Poppy Seed and Banana Muffins

I am definitely behind on posting since I haven't posted about our trips to both Rockport and Sugar Land that both happened within the last month. Hopefully I can get at least one of those done this weekend...

At least once or twice a month we have quiche, muffins and fruit for dinner. It is easy, healthy, and fast. Oh, did I say easy. Lately cooking has been all about easy around here. My first trimester is really kicking my rear this go round.

Anyway.

Last night I wasn't in the mood for quiche, but that was on the menu (and by the time I decided I didn't want quiche is was too late to make the dough for the crust or come up with something else). I knew I had to make something since eating out anymore this month isn't in the budget, so I had to come up with something quickly. I remembered that Erin over at $5 Dinners had recently posted a recipe for Spinach and Bacon Frittata. Close to a quiche, but without the crust and cooked in my cast iron skillet (which I love and has almost completely replaced our wedding cookware in use). Perfect! We all really liked this, especially Lucy. The only adjustment I would make is less salt. I think there is plenty with the bacon, but I am super sensitive to salt lately...food aversions are so strange.

I wasn't in the mood for my normal muffin recipe (I have way too may muffin recipes...always trying something new). So, I found this one on Allrecipes. I made a few adjustments per what I prefer in my muffins and what I had on hand. The kids and I thought they were great. Nathan said they were good, but he is still in mourning that I won't make muffins with only white flour and sugar anymore. I thought I'd share my adjusted recipe for anyone that was interested. They were moist, easy (a theme for me lately) and just sweet enough. I think the flours can be adjusted to your taste...

Poppy Seed and Banana Muffins

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour (would have used all WW, but was almost out)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup maple syrup (or honey)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup milk
3 T poppy seeds
juice and zest of one medium lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 12 cup muffin pan (this made 12 regular-sized muffins and 24 mini-muffins for me).

In a large bowl, mix flours, wheat germ, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

In a medium bowl, beat together eggs, maple syrup, and applesauce. Stir in bananas, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, and poppy seeds.

Make a well in the center of the wheat flour mixture, and pour in egg and banana mixture. Stir until just blended. Spoon into the prepared muffin pan.

Bake 15 to 20 minutes for mini-muffins or 20-25 minutes for regular-sized muffins in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

The muffins sound yummy and I know what you mean about salt. I almost always decrease or eliminate it in recipes, otherwise I want to throw out what I just made. And I also like to use both the whole wheat and white flour. For sugar I usually use half the sugar called for and then the other half I use splenda, like for my pumpkin bread recipe that we can't get enough of.

Lori said...

these muffins do sound YUMMY! I should give you a recipe I got from Mary Jeanne for Quiche. The crust is super easy and fairly quick to make, although I haven't tried making it with WW flour yet. We should swap EASY recipes... I'm right there with you!

Haley Frederick said...

sounds yummy! definitely going to try it!

Stephanie said...

Lori - We should swap EASY recipes! Of course, you have one more kid on me and are about to move back here! :)

Haley - What in the world are you doing online right after having Eli?! :)