Thursday, April 30, 2009

Homemade Goodness: Yogurt

The kids and I can eat quite a bit of yogurt in this house, and I tend to use it in baking or as a replacement for sour cream (I buy plain yogurt and add honey or real maple syrup to sweeten when necessary). I like having yogurt available in the house, but sometimes it gets passed up since it can get a bit pricey. My current favorite at my local grocery store (though Central Market has some I like better) is Stoneyfield Farm's plain, whole milk version. And since theirs is organic, it runs me about $4 a container. Doesn't seem like much, but it adds up.
For Christmas my in-laws got me the book Nourishing Traditions. I had been eying the recipe for homemade yogurt for a while, but hadn't taken the plunge. However, last week an opportunity presented itself.

As I was shopping at Kroger on Saturday I noticed that their half gallons of Borden organic whole milk was just expired. I know that just expired milk is great for making yogurt, so I decided to see if the dairy manager would give me a discount on them since they were expired (I've tried this once before, and it didn't work). He was super nice and reduced the price to a $1 a piece. Awesome! So, I picked up four of them and put two in the freezer for later.

Last night I proceeded to follow the simple directions in the book, and woke up this morning to a VERY large batch of homemade yogurt. For a $1 I was able to make 2-3x the amount I usually buy for $4. That is a steal! I am super excited and can't wait to make more...though I need to since we have a lot in our fridge right now. I know what we'll be eating for breakfast for the next few days...maybe I should try to make frozen yogurt as well. Yum!

5 comments:

Daniel and Amy said...

Hey now! There are a few baby food recipes that call for whole milk yogurt. I might need to give that I try!

Crissy said...

Sounds like you have been cookin' up some fun around your house!

Melissa said...

We can eat tons of yogurt too! What a great idea!

Koleta said...

Can you make yogurt from the yogurt you froze? I was told I couldn't do that & I've never tried. If you try that out, please let me know !! We buy food for a month at a time, so I'm always buying yogurt for Abby & freezing it becaue I didn't think I could make homemade yougurt from frozen yogurt.

Koleta

Stephanie said...

Koleta,

I actually froze milk, not yogurt. So really, I think you could make your yogurt. Just have whole milk in the freezer to use later. You can keep using the yogurt on hand (even the stuff you make) to make more. Does that make sense?