Thursday, April 16, 2009

The End of an Era

I am sure many of you who read this will understand how bittersweet it is for me to post this, but last Friday was the end of an era in our household. It is the first time as a mother that I have had a child that isn't nursing. That's right. I have been a mother for 2 years and (almost) 8 months and I have never had a child not nursing.

Last week Ben started nursing less and less. I had commented to my sister that he seemed less interested that normal. He nursed once on Thursday morning, and once Friday morning, but that was it. He has completely refused to latch on, and actually gets quite angry if I try. So, I have stopped trying at all. He is not interested.

I am a little bit sad about this, but thankful that he did nurse for almost 14 months. I have known since he was born that he is much different than his sister, but didn't think he'd give up nursing so much quicker and easier than she did. They are VERY different on this and many other things.

I am pretty sure that this was due to a combination of things. First would be that I know my milk changed when I miscarried. That is normal. He apparently doesn't like it now. Also, he is getting in molars, which seem to bother him much more than they did Lucy.

All that said, a nice and unexpected side affect has been that Ben goes down for naps and bedtime by me laying him down, him going to sleep (without crying) and sleeping for long periods of time. He has slept 10+ hours straight the last two nights in a row. It's funny that a week ago I was fretting about how to get he and Lucy to sleep in the same room, and it seems like the Lord worked it out just like Nathan said He would. I can now see it won't be that bad at all....thankfully.

1 comment:

Haley Frederick said...

I do know how sad that is! I absolutely love nursing and can't wait for this baby to get here so I can start doing it again! Hopefully there will be more babies in the future for you to nurse.