Sunday, December 14, 2008

Handmade Christmas

Tonight I finished the last of Lucy's Christmas presents. We only give the kids three gifts a piece for Christmas, and two of Lucy's were being made by me. One was a doll mei tai. She loves to wear her baby dolls in the pouch sling her Auntie Erin made her, but is always trying to put our Ergo on her back. Obviously, that doesn't work. So, I decided to make her one out of fabric I already had. Here are the results.


The other gift I made Lucy was a tutu. Every little girl needs a tutu to twirl around in and play dress up with. And Lucy is a pretty girly girl, so I figured she'd be all over this. I used this pattern, and I think I like the end result. It is much poofier than I expected. (Be sue to note that when they say making it a certain way gives way to lots of poof, it really does...even if it doesn't look like it at first.) The colors are purple, green and blue. The ribbon around the wait has these same colors in it. The tulle has a bit of shimmer to it, which is nice.


I don't have a picture, but I made another one slightly different than this for Lucy's friend, Danielle. She is the ONLY other girl in Lucy's Sunday School class, and is such a sweetie (plus she loves to dress up). I think I like how Dani's was less poofy. I wish I'd taken a picture of it. Oh well.


8 comments:

Garza Family said...

CUTE...CUTE...CUTE!

Brittany said...

SO AWESOME!! I love the carrier and of course the tutu! But I am a fan for of "the bigger, the better"...so the more poof the better!

Haley Frederick said...

Love it!!! Feel the jealousy coming from Eva. :)

Crissy said...

Wow! Way to go! Those look fantastic. I am sure Lucy will LOVE that tutu.
(We do the 3 gifts for Christmas too!)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that is so sweet! Steph, you are so creative! If I ever have a girl, you will have to help me learn to sew more efficiently. :) ....or I'll just pay you to do it....ha ha. Thanks for watching Peter and the kiddos during the Candle Light service. It is always a blessing to know that he is being taken care of by loving friends. :)

-Keri

Mom said...

Ohhhh.... such neat gifts for Lucy! You do good work, Stephanie. Those look great!!

Maria said...

I would love to make a child-size Ergo or Mei Tai for my little girl. Did you make up your pattern?

Stephanie said...

Maria,

Here are some links to help you out:

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread
.php?t=163089&highlight=child+mei+tai

http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/showthread
.php?t=155613&highlight=child+mei+tai

They are really easy to make. I've made a few adult-sized ones before that were pretty simple, but this was much easier. I hope the links help. (I have my measurements written down somewhere, but I am not sure...)