Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Melamine Traces Found in US Infant Formula


Today I read two articles about the FDA finding trace amounts of melamine in infant formula made in the United States. According the to the AP article on Yahoo! today, it was found in the two formulas you see pictured above. The other article is found here.

I don't want to be alarmist at all in posting this, but wanted to get the information out there.

It definitely concerns me that the FDA had made a statement back when melamine was found in infant formula in China that no level of melamine was safe in infant formula, but are now saying that there is no cause for alarm or changing formulas since the levels are so low. And though these are trace amounts, we don't know the long-term affects this will have on infants that get 100% of their nutrition from formula for anywhere from 6 months and up. I certainly don't put a lot of stock into what the FDA has deems as safe, but this seems plain wrong to me.

I stand by my conviction that breast is best when it comes to feeding babies, but know that it is not always possible. If you are not able to breastfeed, please read the articles above and try to find a brand that considers any amount, trace or not, of melamine unacceptable in their formulas.

Also, if you are looking for a good resource on breastfeeding, check out KellyMom. She has many wonderful resources on her site.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Oh, that is so disheartening.I am thankful for the blessing of nursing my baby.s