Saturday, June 28, 2008

Some things are hard to hear

Isn't that the truth. Lately, I have heard lots of things that have been hard to hear, but useful and edifying. Don't you love how God does that?

There have been many occassions that God has used either the Sunday school lesson, or our pastor's sermons to really get down into my wandering heart and draw me back to Himself. He is continually doing the work to conform me to the image of His son, and sometimes it is not fun.

While out of town this last week, Nathan was able to meet with two of his good friends that are rock solid in their faith and doctrine. He always likes to talk with them about theology, and this was no different. One of them recommended he listen to some sermons online by Paul Washer. He did, and told me to listen to one in particular when I got home. I did, and thought I'd share.

Not only did his message convey my own convictions about what I see in the church, but it made me take a look at my own actions and heart. Every time I do this I am reminded that it is only by God's grace that I am not the "old me", but who I am in Christ. Only by God's grace and calling I am saved. Only by God's grace I get to walk in His light. I praise Him for that!

The question I have been asking myself lately is that since God specifically chose to save me by His own grace, and that salvation is completely undeserved (and I know that!) and not a result of anything that I myself did, how am I glorifying Him with my life? How am I lifting up His name? How am I showing the world that I am any different than the next gal on the block?

Obviously, these are hard questions to ask myself, but I feel like they are necessary. God saved to glorify Him, and that is exactly what I should be doing in all areas of my life. Right now I can't say that I am glorifying Him in all areas, or even most areas. But, praise Him, because He doesn't need me to be glorified! That doesn't change the fact that I want to bring glory to Him though. And I pray that I am able to do just that as He continues to conform me. To God be the glory!

Oh, and here is the video I was talking about.

No comments: