Friday, April 25, 2008

Motivation, or lack there of

I have some serious motivation issues. I need to be exercising, but haven't been. I started two weeks ago, but dropped the ball last week when getting ready for going out of town.

The summer before getting pregnant with Lucy I had lost about 20 lbs and was at my smallest as an adult. Unfortunately, I gained 65 lbs with her pregnancy. By the time I got pregnant with Ben (Lucy was 9 months old), I still had 20 lbs that I hadn't lost. So, now I have probably 30 lbs to lose to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight of 3 years ago.

So, some friends and I signed up for a fitness challenge. I was really excited to have the encouragement and accountability from others. That has turned out to not really help me (especially since no one is keeping up with anyone). Then, I decided to try this with my friend Amanda. We are doing the Couch to 5k in 9 weeks program. She is doing a MUCH better job on her side than I am. Seriously, I need to kick my butt into gear and get going. I don't have a double jogging stroller for nothing!

Oh, and I am pretty sure I am addicted to Dr. Pepper. I wake up every day and tell myself, "no Dr. Pepper today." Yeah, that doesn't work. I almost always find a way to have one.

So, anyone want to motivate me?

4 comments:

de' Downings said...

motivation is so hard to come by when it comes to losing weight and working out. Here is what has worked for me sometimes. this is super silly, but it had some success. I went shopping and picked out a pair of pants that i really wanted and bought them two sizes smaller. when i got home i hung them on the wall in my bedroom to remind me of my goal every morning. of course this was before i was married so this might be a little weird to do now.

Haley Frederick said...

I need motivation too, Stephanie. When I was in college, I did a point system. When I had so many points from working out and not eating sweets, I got to buy something small. I'm not sure if I could do that budget wise now, though. I've thought about signing up to run a 5K so that I would have a definite date to aim for. I haven't done it yet... not even motivated enough to do that. If you have any great ideas, let me know. :) I've gained weight since I stopped nursing. Burning an extra 500 calories a day was nice!

Anonymous said...

I don't have any motivation advice to offer, but I have some advice from my OB. After I had Braden, he gave me some of the best advice I have ever received- It took your body nearly a year to gain that pregnancy weight; you should give yourself at least that to take it off. A slow and steady loss is key. It seems to be more permanent.
In heeding his advice, it took the stress off of me to get that baby weight gone quickly. One of the best things I did was toss the scale, and focus more on what goes in. That made me focus on the health aspect, not a number. It also changes your perspective and sometimes the way you think about yourself. For example, sometimes you work really hard, but you don't see any loss on the scale. Thus, you conclude nothing has been accomplished. But, if you are focusing on eating healthy and making wise choices, you have always accomplished something.
I believe in you! You'll reach your goal. Just be patient!
~Crissy

Shannon said...

i can't motivate you. i think for these things you can only motivate yourself. if you're not in the state of mind to be motivated, then no one's advice will help. but what i can tell you is that you shouldn't feel like a bad person for desiring and having a dr. pepper, or for taking an easy day or a day off. guilt only motivates for a short while. then it loses it's motivational force, and you just end up feeling like a bad person.

instead of making goals about what NOT to do and feeling bad when you do those things, make (small, achievable!) goals about what you want to do and reward yourself when you achieve those goals.