Sunday, April 6, 2008

Green Thumb...I hope!

I have been telling Nathan for a few months that I want to have an organic veggie garden this summer. Not only would it save money, but I think it could be fun and satisfying to grow, harvest and eat produce from our back yard.

At first he wasn't so sure about this. It sounded a lot like one my projects that I would go overboard with, get discouraged and then need his help. And since this would be my project, that wouldn't be such a great idea. Well, for Christmas, Nathan's sister and her husband got him the book Omnivore's Delimma by Michael Pollan. His tune changed a bit about the garden (and about our consumption of meat...but that is a different topic) after reading this book. So, I got the go ahead to look into a veggie garden.

I decided a raised bed would be best, and bought a book on Square Foot Gardening at Borders. It was a pretty quick read, and really encouraging. So, I am currently putting the final touches on my proposal together for Nathan on this veggie garden for our back yard. And yes, I did say proposal. If you know my husband, you aren't surprised by this and are probably rolling your eyes or laughing. Either one is acceptable, but I am getting it together none the less.

Now, don't be alarmed. Raised beds require a lot less work than rows. It turns out that we have a box already in our shed that will work great for one bed, and the other will be made with some cinder blocks that are sitting in there as well. Plus, I am only planning on doing a few veggies to get my feet wet with this gardening stuff. Hopefully we'll have lots of tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, watermelon, potatoes, onions, zucchini, peppers, green beans, carrots and lettuce from our own organic garden to eat this summer! If all goes as planned, I think we...I mean I...will be planting everything next weekend. Wish me luck...I may need it!

4 comments:

Erin said...

fun! You are so much more adventurous than me! I don't think there's any gardening in my future this summer. Nope. Pretty much there's just nursing twins in my future. LOL

I loooove homegrown tomatoes, though, so I hope yours come out well!

Shelly McGregor said...

We have a raised veggie garden also! Last year was our first year of doing it and had so much produce and fun with it. Everyday after school Brady would come to check and see how many tomatos are on the plants! He really really loved doing it so this year we planted some veggies again. (tomatos, peppers, herbs, onions, lettace, strawberries)

Just a word of caution though..we did watermelon, canteloupe and cucumbers last year they were ALL over the place. You need LOTS of room for those items that grow on vines.

GOOD LUCK and I cant wait to see how yours and mine turn out this year! =)

Haley Frederick said...

That sounds so fun. Our husbands are a lot alike. I'm pretty sure that Ryan would require a proposal as well. That's so funny. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I like to call it waiting for a "Queen Ester Moment" when making a proposal!