Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ear Infection x 2

Okay, I meant to post Ben's birth story next, but it is being put off a little longer. I promise it will be posted though.

So, both kiddos have had a little bit of the sniffles going on the last few weeks. Lucy got a cold either from church or playgroup right before Easter. I am not sure which, but it doesn't really matter. The girl has pretty much been one non-stop cold since November. It is ridiculous and frustrating. However, everyone (the pediatrician, chiropractor, other parents, etc.) says it has just been a really bad year for colds and such. That's lovely.

This week Lucy developed a cough at night, and Ben started to sound like a freight train when sleeping at night. So, we trucked it on over to see Dr. Jones (aka as Jones by Crissy or docdor by Lucy). Turns out that both of them have ear infections. Ugh! Poor babies. Lucy's was almost gone by the time we went to see him. He said it is normal for you not to even know kids have them at this age, and for them to go away on their own. Thankfully she never acted like she was in pain or bothered. We are just letting it go away on its own. Ben, however, had to be put on antibiotics to clear his up. I hate that. Not the antibiotics, but the fact that my 6 week old is on them. Plus, I totally didn't even think about an ear infection when Ben started getting pretty fussy a few days before the appointment. Poor guy, he was in pain and didn't even realize it.

I made an appointment with my chiropractor, Cindy, for Ben and Lucy. She was able to see Ben the next morning. Though I am thankful for antibiotics, I don't want to keep putting my son on them if he happens to keep getting ear infections due to him building up a resistance to them. That bothers me. Also, I know people personally that have had ear infections and sinus issues that have benefited from chiropractic care. I am willing to do this to avoid antibiotics again. Nathan had tubes as a kid, and I DON'T want to have to deal with that for any of my kiddos.

In addition to going to Cindy, I have Ben on probiotics as well to put the good bacteria back in his body. Not only do I not want to totally deplete his system of any good bacteria, I know that being on antibiotics can lead to thrush. I have had thrush...it's a nightmare! Seriously, I would avoid this at ALL costs! Thrush is EVIL!

All that said, both kids are doing better. Ben's congestion is starting to go away and Lucy's cough is pretty much gone. Hopefully neither will get any more colds/sicknesses for quite a while.

No comments: